Tuesday, April 05, 2005

So I was in line at the post office today, and there was a man behind me who was in his fifties, with white hair and an old man stomach (I wish to GOD I could say tummy or belly here), dressed as if he had just gotten off from work. And there was a skinny Asian kid behind him about twenty or so wearing a shirt that had something to do with computers.

Anyway, the old guy started jangling his keys around with a big smile on his face. He then turned to the Asian kid behind him, pointed over to a baby in a stroller a few feet away and said, "Isn't it amazing? No matter what's happening, kids can always hear the sound of you jangling your keys. I mean, no matter how loud it is, they'll still sit there smiling and trying to reach for your keys." The Asian kid sort of stood there smiling as best he could while the old guy kept on talking. "I was at the mall the other day and I was messing around with my keys, and God, I don't even hear my keys anymore when they're by my side and everything, but this baby about twenty feet away was grabbing at them and laughing. It made him so happy!"

And I was looking at this man, and I thought to myself, "How perfect!" I mean how wonderful of a way to describe innocence in children. I mean not kindergarteners, not preschoolers, not toddlers, but infants. Infants he called children! Isn't that amazing? It really made me think about how kids really grow up so fast, and how everyone gets so damn accustomed to the noise around us that they just stop being human for a while.

And then he started talking again. "You know, come April 15th this place is gonna be filled. You think the line is long now, just you wait, people will be lining out the door in a couple of weeks." And the Asian guy smiled and said that he already did his taxes and said something about how the nation is in debt. And the old man replied, "Well, we're always going to be in debt. That's something we're never going to change. I mean, we bring in so much stuff we don't need just to make people happy. I just wish in your lifetime they do away with all the nonsense in our government and with money. It's too much."

And I thought to myself again, "How perfect!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home